Every able-bodied and over 18 years old foreigner or stateless person is entitled to perform labour activities within the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan after getting working permit through legal entities, individuals dealing with entrepreneurship activity not establishing legal entity and branch offices and representations of foreign legal entities that employed him in a way and at terms stipulated in this Code. Legal entities, physical persons engaging in entrepreneurship not establishing a legal entity and branch offices and representations of foreign legal entity shall get a working permit for every foreigner or stateless person they want to employ.
However below some of the categories of employees that are exempt from obtaining work permit:
- those who possess permanent residence permit in the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- those engaged in entrepreneurship activity in the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
-employees of international organizations;
-managers of the organizations established under international agreements and their deputies;
-professors and tutors invited to universities (higher educational institutions) for delivering lectures and
-art workers, coaches and athletes invited to work in sport clubs and registered at relevant executive
- those who perform professional religious activities in the officially registered religious institutions;
-heads of branch offices and representations of foreign legal entities in the Republic of Azerbaijan and their deputies;
- Heads of legal entities and their deputies, established in the Republic of Azerbaijan and having at least one founder or one of the founders of a foreign legal entity or foreigner.
- those married with the citizen of the Republic of Azerbaijan, subject to registration of that citizen in the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan at the place of residence;
- those, who applied for IDP status, received IDP status or was granted a political asylum;
-those who patronize citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan under 18 years old or I group disabled